Looking for an easy way to cut up watermelon into cubes without the juice making a mess all over the cutting board and countertop? I happened to see this tip on my Facebook feed and tried it out the very next day when I made my Watermelon, Feta, Olive and Mint summer salad. Works like a charm!
1. Cut the watermelon into quarters and use this technique on each segment.
2. Hold the knife parallel to the edge of the watermelon and make a slice through the melon down to the rind — just slice through the melon, do not go all the way through the skin. You’ll feel a little resistance as you hit the rind.
Continue making parallel cuts in this direction, as wide or narrow as you want your cubes.
3. Turn the melon and make the same parallel cuts on the other side.
4. Finally, make several vertical cuts down the the rind. Again, in whatever thickness you want for the cubes.
5. Put the watermelon into a large bowl or container and spoon out the cubes. You may need to scrape the ones off the rind a little.
6. Clean up the huge juice mess on the cutting board. Oh wait — it’s not there!
One thought on “Quick Tip: How to cut a watermelon into cubes (without the mess)”